Wednesday, September 30, 2015
KUB EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Corrosion Technician - Vacancy # 15150
Open Date: 09/30/2015
Pay Plan: Engineering & Operations
Closing Date: 10/21/2015
Pay Grade: 6, 7
Position Type: Regular/Full-Time
Pay Range: $42,800.00 - $73,800.00
Job Classification: Engineering Associate
Department: 072 Gas Systems Engineering
Work Location: 4505 Middlebrook Pike
Work Schedule: 40+ hours / week: M - F
About KUB: The Knoxville Utilities Board (KUB) is one of the largest public utilities in the country providing electric, gas, water, and wastewater services to more than 445,000 customers in Knoxville and parts of seven surrounding counties. We exist to serve our customers, improving their quality of life by providing utility services that are safe, reliable, and affordable. And our mission is about more than just pipes and wires. It’s about being good stewards of our community’s resources: utility assets, customer dollars, and the environment. We work to safeguard those resources and enhance their value for the people of the communities we serve and generations to come.
Work Description: Obtains cathodic protection data from KUB’s steel mains and services such as pipe to soil potentials, the rectifier, and foreign pipeline interference concerns. Solves technical problems related to pipeline corrosion prevention. Conducts site visits to perform visual assessments for corrosion and coating status, to provide oversight of test station installations, to troubleshoot and assess low or out of compliance readings, and to install small anodes. Provides input into standards, specifications, and procedures related to cathodic protection. Must be able to provide clear, concise, and thorough documentation. Works directly with corrosion and pipeline engineers and as a resource for construction and compliance groups to provide subject matter expertise for KUB’s Distribution Integrity Management Program. Prepares for and participates in applicable regulatory inspections. Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations including, but not limited to, DOT, PHMSA, TRA, etc. Performs other duties as required.
· High school education or equivalent knowledge acquired through vocational training and/or technical school
· Strong PC skills including MS Office Professional (i.e., Word and Excel)
· Strong analytical and project management skills and ability to work independently on projects in a timely manner
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Valid Tennessee driver’s license
Physical Demands: May require walking up to five miles per day over rough and/or hilly terrain when assisting with field surveying and layout work. Requires above normal mental and visual alertness quite frequently. Position may require ability to: drive vehicles; bend, stoop, and lift various objects weighing 10-75 lbs two to three times per week; and work in all types of weather, with exposure to equipment and machine noise, dirt, and traffic. Note: The physical demands described above are intended to relate the approximate physical demands of the classification. Physical demands for a specific position within this classification may vary and/ or exceed those demands described above. Additional information regarding specific positions is available in Human Resources.
· Associate's Degree from an accredited community college or university in a relevant technical field (Mechanical, Electrical, or Metallurgy)
· Sound knowledge in basic electricity, chemistry, and diagnostic equipment
· Previous experience related to regulatory compliance
· Experience with processes, cathodic protection design, and construction methods
· Experience with the interpretation of mapping data, codes, and standards
· Previous knowledge of corrosion and cathodic protection
· Ability to achieve NACE CP Technician Level 1 status and maintain all professional certifications as current (i.e. National Association of Corrosion Engineers)
· Desire to develop a working knowledge of the KUB metallic piping systems under the supervision of the KUB Corrosion Engineer
· Understanding of pipeline materials and risks associated with distribution and maintenance
· Understanding of the U.S. Department of Transportation Pipeline Regulations 49 CFR 192 Subpart I (Requirements for Corrosion Control) related to the operations and maintenance of gas distribution systems and cathodic protection of these systems
· Strong interpersonal skills that allow for productive relationships with contractors and KUB employees to convey corrosion assessment data, mitigation techniques including test station and anode installation, and repair of cathodic protection systems
· Troubleshooting abilities composed of the following skills: basic electric principals, use of instrumentation that measures electrical potentials, knowledge of DC circuits, analytical reasoning skills, and comprehension of engineering drawings
(Subject to change)
Phase 1 Submit online application at www.kub.org
Phase 2 Experience, training, and education evaluation
Phase 3 Interview with department representatives
Phase 4 Written, performance, and behavioral exercises
Phase 5 Background Investigation
Phase 6 Physical examination and drug screen
If special accommodations are needed for testing purposes, please notify Human resources in advance of the test date.
Only candidates submitting a completed KUB application and completing each component of the selection process will be considered for KUB positions. KUB does not accept unsolicited applications; completed applications are only considered for advertised vacancies. Please no third party inquiries. Due to the volume of applications and resumes we receive, only applicants invited to interview will be contacted.
Applicants should apply on all positions of interest. KUB reserves the right to consider applications for additional vacancies in the same classification within 120 days of the original posting, after which time, applicants must reapply to be considered for any openings.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide correct and updated contact information to KUB during the active period of the application. If KUB is unable to contact the applicant because the information on the application is no longer correct, the application will be considered inactive and the applicant no longer eligible for employment. For more specific information regarding this position, please contact Human Resources.